Monday, August 23, 2010

The Cracked Laundry Basket

Have you ever been on a shopping mission? I know I have. Maybe it's for some key bit of home decor, or for a hard-to-find piece of clothing to match something you already have. We can invest a lot of time and money searching out that perfect item, and the ironic thing is, we often don't really need it.

On the other hand, I often neglect the essential--the everyday items that get alot of wear and tear and wouldn't be all that difficult to find or all that expensive to replace.

Take the cracked laundry basket.

I recently realized we use two laundry baskets in our household--and that they're the same ones my husband and I had in college. (Let's just say they're pretty old, without getting into revealing details about exactly how old we're getting too...)

One just cracked in several places. It's time for a new one, but I haven't gotten around to it.

It's kind of like my spiritual life. The thing that really matters, but that I don't invest enough time in.

Just as I can easily fill my shopping cart with frivolous impulse buys, I can also fill my mind with distractions that crowd out God.

Dear Lord: Please help me to take a foundational approach to spending my time and money, focusing on what's truly important, like my relationship with you. Help me to clear away the clutter and distractions of daily life to reveal your face.

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

1 Chronicles 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment